We enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and I’ve been busy today being creative with using up the leftovers. Since we have quite a bit of mashed potatoes left over, I’ve been researching some delicious ways to use them up and thought I would share a few of my finds:
1. Tonight for dinner I will be making Shepherd’s Pie. I am going to be using ground turkey for the meat portion but really any meat combo will do. Rachael Ray has a fairly easy and quick Shepherd’s Pie Recipe you may want to try out. Bottom line – make some type of meat and vegetable combo, and top it with mashed potatoes and cheese. Yum!
2. Leftover Thanksgiving Casserole is another way to use up those mashed potatoes and any other Thanksgiving related items. I like the fact that this recipe also uses up the green bean casserole dish that so many like to enjoy on Thanksgiving Day.
3. If you are looking for a lighter dish then mashed potato soup might be a nice recipe to try. This is a quick recipe too, taking about 25 minutes from start to finish.
4. Mashed Potato Dumplings would be a nice treat too, especially if you have leftover gravy you can use as a dipping sauce.
5. Leftover mashed potatoes can be used in several breakfast dishes as well. Here is a nifty little recipe for a mashed potato omelet.
6. Mashed Potato Patties would be great for dinner or breakfast. I watched Michael Chiarello make these today on the Food Network Channel. They didn’t look too difficult to make and looked delicious. He served them along side some turkey/cranberry/stuffing panini sandwiches which looked so good I wished I had enough leftovers to make them!
7. If you’re tired of anything turkey related, then maybe Beef Rolls Italiano might sound appealing.
8. Here is another creative mashed potato recipe using eggs. This one looks good enough for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
9. If you are in the mood for fish, then perhaps salmon croquettes might be a good way to use up those leftover mashed potatoes. This recipe looks easy and quick.
10. Finally, mashed potato rolls can be made and they only require 1 cup of leftover mashed potatoes.